Peopl Insurance Q&A - European Health Insurance Card Skip to main content

European Health Insurance Card

Commentary from Paul Walsh, MD of Peopl Insurance

My husband and I have booked a holiday to Greece and Albania over the Easter break. Will the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) be enough to cover us in the event either of us becomes ill or injured abroad?

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which allows you to get public healthcare for free or at a reduced cost, is valid within the EU and EEA (European Economic Area), as well as Switzerland. This means that while you can rely on the EHIC whilst travelling in Greece, you cannot do so when travelling in Albania.

Be aware though that even in countries where it is valid, the EHIC may not be sufficient for your needs. You should always take out comprehensive travel cover to complement the EHIC cover – and to ensure you are covered in countries where the EHIC card is not valid.

Be sure there is good cover for medical expenses on your policy. With some travel insurance policies, cover for medical expenses could be €10m or €20m.

Medical treatment abroad can be very expensive and whilst  seeking medical treatment in another country is traumatic enough, it’s made even worse when you have to cover the cost from your own pocket simply because you didn’t cover yourself before you left.

In the event that you fall sick or become injured on holiday, you will really appreciate the benefit of a policy with good medical expenses cover.